Honor | Education | Research
| Publication (by Area) | Teaching | Grant | Service | CFP
- Short Biography
Dr. Wingyan Chung is an information systems scholar and educator with expertise in business analytics, social media analytics, business intelligence, cybersecurity, data and text mining, knowledge management, and human-computer interaction. Dr. Chung received his Ph.D. in Management Information Systems from The University of Arizona. He has over 100 refereed publications in Journal of Management Information Systems, Information & Management, ACM Transactions on MIS, Communications of the ACM, IEEE Computer, Scientific Reports, IJHCS, Journal of the Association for Information Science and Technology, HICSS, and ICIS, among others. Recognitions include top ranking in BI and analytics, press coverage in ForwardFlorida and SIGCSE, and Senior Member awards from AAAI, ACM, and IEEE.
- Honors and Awards
- Excellence in Research Award, College of Business, WCU (video).
- Hunter Scholar Award, Western Carolina University (pic, video, site).
- Kneedler Distinguished Professor in CIS, The Jay Kneedler Endowment Fund (more).
- Senior Member awards, Asso. for Adv. Artificial Intelligence (twt / sn / pic); ACM; IEEE.
- Excellence in Research Award, University of Central Florida (pic, video, Youtube).
- Research Contract Award, DARPA (Press Release).
- Fulbright Core US Scholar Fellowship, US Department of State.
- Grant Award, Florida Center for Cybersecurity.
- Guest Editor, JIPS Special Issue - Social media analytics: Security and privacy issues.
- Grant Award, Intel Security Curriculum Program, Intel Corporation.
- Author of Papers in High-Impact Journals: Scientific Reports (IF = 5.578) and JMIR (IF = 4.7).
- Recipient, Outstanding Researcher Award, School of Bus. Admin., Stetson University.
- Big-data educational effort reported in ForwardFlorida and in SIGCSE
- Outstanding Contribution to Research, UNC FSU.
- Top 20 Researchers in Business Intelligence and Analytics, MIS Quarterly (article).
- NSF Grant Award, Computing in Context, DUE-1141209.
- Ranked #15 among The Most Prolific Authors of MIS-HCI (Table 8) (Chinese, p. 359).
- NSF Grant Award, CPATH CB: Living In the KnowlEdge Society (LIKES), CCF-0752865.
- Publication titled "Web searching in a multilingual world," cover story of Communications of the ACM (editorial).
- Received the Outstanding Performance Award, UTEP.
- Received the Best Research Paper Award in CIS, UTEP.
- Young Investigators Initiative Award, DARPA IPTO.
- Scholarship Award, M.S. in Info. & Tech. Mgmt., presented by Dr. T.S. Lee, Dean, CUHK B-School.
- Ph.D. in Management Info. Systems, The University of Arizona, Tucson, Arizona, USA (dissertation, committee: H. Chen (director), J. Nunamaker, L. Zhao, R. Snodgrass, T. Langendoen).
- M.S. in Information and Technology Management, The Chinese University of Hong Kong, Shatin, HK.
- P.C. Ed. (Major: Business and Accounts), The University of Hong Kong, Pokfulam, HK.
- BBA (Hon), The Chinese University of Hong Kong, Shatin, HK.
- Selected Publications (Total: 100+ pubs.)
- Chung, W. and Busby, Z. "What are state-of-the-art AI technologies and applications? A review of business automation and augmentation," Proceedings of the Appalachian Research in Business Symposium, Richmond, KY, Mar. 24-25, 2022, pp. 32-38.
- Chung, W., Mustaine, E. and Zeng, D. "A computational framework for social-media-based business analytics and knowledge creation," Enterprise Information Systems, 15(10), 2021.
- Chung, W. and Zeng, D. "Dissecting emotion and user influence in social media communities," Information & Management, 57(1), 2020.
- Chung, W., Rao, B. and Wang, L. "Interaction Models for Detecting Nodal Activities in Temporal Social Media Networks," ACM Transactions on Management Information Systems, Article No. 14, 2019.
- Chung, W. "Social media analytics: Security and privacy issues," Journal of Information Privacy and Security, 12(3), 2016, pp. 105-106.
- Chung, W. and Zeng, D. "Social-media-based public policy informatics: Sentiment and network analyses of U.S. immigration and border security," Journal of the Assoc. for Info. Sci. and Tech. (IF = 2.23), 67(7), 2016, pp. 1588-1606.
- Chung, W. "A simulation-based approach to predicting influence in social media communities: A case of U.S. border security," Journal of Information Privacy and Security, 12(3), 2016, pp. 107-122.
- Liang, Y., Zheng, X., Zeng, D., Zhou, X., Leischow, S. ,Chung, W. "Characterizing Social Interaction in Tobacco-Oriented Social Networks: An Empirical Analysis," Scientific Reports, 5 (10060), 2015, Nature Publishing Group (IF = 5.578).
- Chung, W. "Business Analytics in Context: Evaluating New Curricular Modules in an Undergraduate Statistics Course," Proceedings of the NSF CIC Workshop, ACM Press, 2015.
- Liang, Y., Zheng, X., Zeng, D., Zhou, X., Leischow, S. ,Chung, W. "Exploring what and how tobacco industry present themselves in social media," Journal of Medical Internet Research, 17(1), 2015 (IF = 4.7).
- Chung, W. (ed.) Proceedings of the NSF Workshop on Curricular Developments for Computing in Context, ACM Press, 2015.
- Benjamin, V., Chung, W., Abbasi, A., Chuang, J., Larson, C., and Chen, H. "Evaluating text visualization for authorship analysis," Security Informatics (3:10), 2014.
- Chung, W. "BizPro: Extracting and categorizing business intelligence factors from textual news articles," International Journal of Information Management, 34(2), 2014, pp. 272-284.
- Chung, W. and Lewis Hershey "Enhancing Information Privacy and Data Sharing in a Healthcare IT Firm: The Case of Ricerro Communications," Journal of Information Privacy and Security, 8(4), 2013 (accepted in 2012), pp. 56-78.
- Chung, W. and Tseng, B. "Discovering Business Intelligence from Online Product Reviews: A Rule-Induction Framework," Expert Systems with Applications, 39(15), 2012, pp. 11870-11879 (acceptance rate: 11-20%; Impact factor: 2.203).
- Chung, W. "Web Searching in a Multilingual World," Communications of the ACM (cover story, editorial), 51 (5), 2008, pp. 32-40 (CACM is a top-ranked IS journal and the #1 most frequently cited journal in software engineering, according to ISI).
- Chung, W., Lai,
G., Bonillas, A., Xi, W. and Chen, H. "Organizing domain-specific
information on the Web: An experiment on the Spanish business Web
directory," International Journal of Human-Computer Studies,
66 (2), 2008, pp. 51-66.
- Chung, W., Chen,
H., Chang, W. and Chou, S. "Fighting cybercrime: A review and the
Taiwan experience," Decision Support Systems, 41(3),
2006, pp. 669-682 (among the top 25 most downloaded papers of
the journal during Jan-Mar 2006).
- Chung, W., Chen,
H. and Nunamaker, J. "A
visual framework for knowledge discovery on the Web: An empirical
study on business intelligence exploration," Journal of
Management Information Systems, 21(4), 2005, pp. 57-84 (among
top elite MIS journals).
- Chen, H., Chung, W.,
Xu, J., Wang, G., Chau, M. and Qin, Y. "Crime data mining: A general
framework and some examples," IEEE Computer (37:4),
April 2004, pp. 50-56.
- Marshall, B., McDonald,
D., Chen, H. and Chung, W. "EBizPort: Collecting and analyzing
business intelligence information," Journal of the American
Society for Information Science and Technology, 55(10), 2004,
- Lai, V.S. and Chung,
W. "Managing international data communications: A Delphi study of
issues," Communications of the ACM (45:3), March 2002,
- Selected Publications by Area
- Business Intelligence: PIM/RIM, CyTraSS, BOSSET, BizPro, BusStakeAnalyzer, DiscoverBI, WebBased BIS, BusAnalytics
- Cybersecurity: SIMON DL, CT, TRNN, SMA-Security, BorderSim, DarkWeb, Cybercrime-Taiwan, CrimeDM
- Data/Text/Web Mining: iMood, GraphRecom, BusStakeAnalyzer, DiscoverBI, BizPro, BorderSim, TobaccoSN, TobaccoIndSM, DarkWeb, VizBIE
- Tech Review: Crowdsensing, SMA-Security, CrimeDM, Multilingual Web (AIC), Multilingual Web (CACM), Cybercrime-Taiwan, WebBased BIS
- HCI: AuthorPort, CBizPort, EBizPort, STV, SBiz/AMedPort, MedTextus, SBizDir, BIViz, E-biz Stake, AMedDir
- Health Informatics: TobaccoSN, TobaccoIndSM, MedTextus, AMedDir, Ricerro HealthIT
- Knowledge Management: SMBA-KM, Group-Buying, Ricerro HealthIT, WebDir, IDC
- Education: Cyber Informatics, BusAnalytics, CIC, CT, LIKES
- Teaching (sample student comments)
Selected Quotes from
- "Professor Chung is
probably one of the most well informed
professors when it comes to information about
- "Professor Chung was
an extremely dedicated professor and ... had a genuine
desire to instill knowledge upon his pupils ... always tried to
motivate students through various mediums."
- "Dr. Chung is
very enthusiastic about the subject matter in the
- "Prof. Chung is
the best professor here."
- "Out of ALL my College
of Business courses, this was the FIRST course that really challenged
- "Dr. Chung is
highly organized, know his subject inside and out, and
is very likeable."
- "Overall, I really
enjoyed the Professor's teachings and I think that he is
an Asset to the school and department."
Selected Courses Taught
- Compu. Intelligence and Machine Learning (MSCS/MDASC, HKU; student eval.) - Forbes 10 Best AI / DS courses (PDF)
- Social Simulation and Informatics (PhD / graduate, full-semester course)
- Cybersecurity Informatics (Graduate Course developed for the Intel Security Curriculum Program)
- Data Mining Methodology I (Graduate Course in Statistics; invited guest lecture)
- Natural Language Processing (Graduate Course in Computer Science; invited guest lecture)
- Database Management Systems (UG / MBA / MSIS, a full-semester course)
- Information Systems Theory and Practice (UG / MBA)
- Managerial Decision Analysis (EMBA)
- Predictive Analytics (UG)
- Social Media Analytics (UG / MBA)
- Data Analytics (Grad) (Student comment)
- Business Intelligence and Data Warehousing (UG / MSIS / MBA) (Student comment)
- Research Contract Award, DARPA, 2017-2020 (Press Release).
- Grant Award, Collaborative Seed Award Program, Florida Center for Cybersecurity, Jul. 2017.
- In-House Research Grant, Office of Research and Commercialization, UCF, 2016.
- Grant Award, Intel Security Curriculum Program, Intel Corporation, Sep. 2015.
- Co-PI, "Computing In Context," DUE-1141209, funded by the National Science Foundation, Aug. 2012.
- Co-PI, "Living in the KnowlEdge Society (LIKES) Community Building Project" (CCF-0752865), National Science Foundation, 2007-2010.
- Selected Services
- Publication Chair, IEEE International Conference on Intelligence and Security Informatics, Nov. 2-3, 2021.
- Associate Editor, International Journal of Engineering Business Management, Sage Publishing, 2018 - now.
- Editorial Board Member, Informatics, MDPI, 2020 - now.
- Academic Advisor, Computer Information Systems at WCU, 2020 - now.
- Guest Editor, Special Issue on Social Media Analytics: Security and Privacy Issues, Journal of Information Privacy and Security.
- Voting Faculty Member, Faculty Senate Personnel Committee, University of Central Florida, 2019 - 2020.
- Registration Chair, IEEE International Conference on Intelligence and Security Informatics, Miami, FL, Nov. 8-10, 2018.
- Core Faculty Member, Cyber Security and Privacy Cluster, University of Central Florida, 2015 - 2020.
- Faculty Promotion Committee Member, Institute for Simulation and Training, University of Central Florida, 2015 - 2019.
- Associate Editor, Journal of Information Privacy and Security, 2011 - 2018.
- Editor, Information Systems area, ACM Computing Review, 2012 - 2014.
- Associate Editor, Decision Analytics, Big Data, and Visualization Track, International Conference on Information Systems 2014.
- Mini-Track Chair, Intelligence and Security Informatics for BI and Analytics, BI, Analytics, and KM Track, Americas Conference on Information Systems 2014.
- Chair, NSF Workshops on Curricular Development for Computing in Context, 2013-15.
- Call for Papers and Participation
- AMCIS 2021 Mini-Track: Social-Media Analytics for Organizational Knowledge Management, AMCIS 2021 (mini-track)
- IEEE International Conference on Intelligence and Security Informatics, Miami, Florida, 2018.
- CFP: JIPS Special Issue - Social Media Analytics: Security and Privacy Issues - (Published Issue), 2016.
- The 2015 NSF Workshop on Curricular Development for Computing in Context, DeLand, FL, 5/13/2015
- AMCIS 2014 Mini-Track: BI and Analytics in Intelligence and Security Informatics (Due: 3/1/2014)
- The First NSF Workshop on Living In the KnowlEdge Society (LIKES), Santa Clara, CA, 11/30 - 12/1/2007
Copyright © All rights reserved.